Speak Your Peace
Facing a storm? Not sure if you will survive? Listen to this message from last Sunday at Freedom Life Church. (Notes below.)
SPEAK YOUR PEACE
June 9, 2019 | Steve Pixler
Today, the Holy Spirit wants to teach you how to “speak your peace.”
Let’s start by looking at the story of Jesus speaking, “Peace! Be still!” into a terrifying storm that brought the disciples to the edge of utter despair.
Mark 4:35–41 (ESV): On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36 And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41 And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
What a powerful story! And it was recorded to teach you and me a powerful lesson: Jesus did not come to earth to calm storms—he came to teach US to calm storms. He came to train us to SPEAK PEACE.
Look at what the disciples missed that day:
- They forgot the word: “Let us go across to the other side.” The word of Jesus held within it the power to fulfill the promise. They were certain to arrive safely at the other side. But they forgot what Jesus said.
- They failed to discern the spiritual nature of the storm. They did not know that “the demons of Gedara” were rushing out in fury to prevent Jesus from arriving on their shore and delivering the demoniac of Gedara. If they had discerned the spiritual nature of the storm, they would have been emboldened to say, “Not today, devil!”
- They lost confidence in Jesus’ care and concern for them. This is a basic human problem: we do not believe in God’s love for us. If we did, we would NEVER be afraid. “Perfect love casts out all fear.”
- They did not understand their role in calming the storm. They failed to see that Jesus was sleeping to create the opportunity for THEM to function as sons of God in the world. He meant for THEM to speak peace into the storm!
- They lost sight of man’s dominion. They did not remember that creation was placed under man’s dominion from the beginning, and that all creation LONGS (stands on tiptoe with eager anticipation! — Romans 8:19) to be set free from the curse of demonic control and released back to man’s glorious dominion. The wind and the waves are begging YOU to stand and speak your peace!
SPEAK YOUR PEACE
Your words create your world.
God created the world with words, and his will recreate your world with words. But the words that he sends into your world will come through YOUR mouth.
Romans 10:8 (ESV): The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim).
2 Corinthians 4:13 (ESV): Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak.
2 Corinthians 1:20 (ESV): For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.
Here is our BIG IDEA today: You are called to speak peace into your life.
Speak your peace.